Monday, April 9, 2012

we hear it's cold in Minnesota

disclaimer: I'm aware that these videos are no longer funny. However, I feel like there is no better way to get my point across.


Have you ever wondered what people say when you tell them you're moving to Minnesota?


You're in luck -- there happens to be a video to answer that exact question. I present you with Stuff People Say When You Tell Them You're Moving to Minneapolis: 


 I've heard each of these things at least twice, usually accompanied by a horrible look of disgust, often from a stranger. The climate is usually phrased as a question, as if the person asking has secret meteorological intelligence of which we're not aware. People are incredibly concerned that we're moving somewhere cold, as if we have secret plans to hold them hostage in our luggage and drop them off naked in an igloo somewhere. 


I've been reminded about getting a coat more times than I can count.


At Match Day, plenty of people matched at places that wouldn't necessarily be my top choice. But it's not me who's moving there, and my responses were something like:


"Mississippi? Great! Now you can use your fiance's grandparents' land that they gave you!"
"Congratulations on Arkansas! Didn't your wife just get into law school there?"
"Congratulations on matching in Houston! Don't you have family there?"


instead of:


"Mississippi? You know that place is 50th in the nation in, oh, everything?!"
"Arkansas?! And you're excited? You'll probably live next door to a meth lab and be involved in some sort of chemical explosion. Hope you have a fire extinguisher!"
"I'm sweating just thinking about summer in Houston. Good luck with that! Hope you love traffic!"


I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have gone over well. 


Yes, Minnesota is cold. But it isn't the South Pole- millions of people live in that climate all winter long! We chose to be a little adventurous, and frankly, it makes me sad that the general public is so anti-adventure. 


I'm glad they're all pro-coat, though. The world needs more pro-winterwear people. 

14 comments:

  1. Omg. That's you, right??!? Dying. Laughing. Sharing on my Facebook and Twitter. Because it's that funny. Minnaninnyapolis is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't sure how to spell that...but I think I like what you came up with!!

      Delete
  2. haters gonna hate. i hear minnesota and i think of baskiceketball. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha! I think I've said this before - but everything I know about Minnesota I learned from Marshall Erikson!

      Delete
  3. oh my gosh I think your video was one of my favorites! You may have an acting future in the cold north, ya know? ;)

    I oftentimes wonder why people feel they need to give their advice and opinion on things when they aren't asked. If it's positive or helpful? Sure, I'll be willing to listen. But when they start in on being negative or making me feel like I'm missing a brain then I slowly begin to tune them out. I'm mean like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Minnesota is cold, yes. But it's pretty awesome! My husband applied their for both med school and residency. We would LOVE to live in Minneapolis. It's such a healthy, culturally and artistically rich city... and I'm sure that extends to much of the state!

    And the most important part? MATCHING!!!!!! Doesn't matter WHERE you match as long as you do, and I would take Minnesota any day of the week over MANY of the alternatives!

    ReplyDelete
  5. as you know if you follow my twitter religiously (I'm assuming you do) I taught myself to knit last summer and have gotten pretty good if I do say so. I'm for real SO excited you are going somewhere cold so I can make someone a scarf who will USE IT REGULARLY (as opposed to Houston where I get to wear scarves for approx 8 days a year)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will gladly accept your offer for a scarf! Just know that you will be competing with Y's mom. I need to post some pictures of the J. Crew lookalike scarf she made me this winter! You guys should totally have a knit-off.

      Delete
  6. You think Minnesota is bad? Imagine what people said to me when I said we are moving to Buffalo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only imagine -- and you came from the DESERT! It seems like you're handling it pretty well :)

      Delete
  7. I heart it! No one has mentioned the Mall of America or the Minnesota state fair!? Cause those were the first two things I thought of...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just like that FB thread - what is up with people saying negative things about a place you kind of have to move to and didn't entirely choose on your own anyway? It's not like you can say "oh, really, it's cold? I guess we'll skip it and move somewhere else!" so I don't know why people think it would be helpful. (Though I admit, the winters were the only thing making me nervous about having Minneapolis as an option on our match list because I'm wimpy like that, but there were so many great sounding things about the city that I would have been very happy to end up there. Just the proximity to Target headquarters alone - ha. Also, I heard it's a major dog-loving city, so Ike will fit right in too!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, you know what I think...I would love to live in Minneapolis! I miss the midwest so, so much! You'll see when you get there.

    ReplyDelete