Wednesday, June 4, 2014

where is Y?



I bet you're wondering what Y has been up to.

It's hard to say, because I don't actually see him all that often.

He's never been busier than he is right now. His hours are brutal and leave him in actual physical pain. He's constantly on his laptop in our living room troubleshooting problems that arise.

Poor Y, right? But I guess that's what happens when you decide to BUILD A VEHICLE IN YOUR BASEMENT.

Oh, you didn't think I was talking about residency, did you? Because that part is smooth sailing. Sure, he works hard saving lives filling out paperwork and -- his words -- "stomping out chronic disease." Sure, his idea of a vacation is a 40-hour work week. But the actual thing that's keeping him busy after hours is his pet project, his moped. 



Last fall, Y bought a broken moped on Craigslist with the intent to rebuild it and start riding it to work. That's why he's been disappearing to our basement for hours at a time. That's why, for the past half a year, I've been getting packages delivered to my front door from China containing carburetors and gaskets and spark plugs, OKAY NSA? 



And after hours and hours of work, it's actually finished! And it works! And here's the best part: he had no clue how to do any of this. He taught himself everything (probably using the research method every good doctor knows: google) this winter. So while you were complaining about the polar vortex and watching House of Cards, Y was basically learning a new trade. And watching House of Cards (yes, we lived through the Awkward Meechum Situation of 2014).


Pretty cool, right? I know I'm impressed. I even learned to spell carburetors in his honor....which is kind of a big deal. 

No comments:

Post a Comment